08 March 2015

First in-class Assignment



1. Please introduce yourself.


Assalamualaikum and hi. My name is Nur Liyana bt. Abd. Ghafar. Since the name 'Liyana' is rising up to be in the mainstream, people prefer to add another lexicon to follow the 'Liyana'. Therefore, my nickname is Liyana G.



2. Please introduce yourself.


I would fancy to rate myself as a computer savvy.



3. What computer software and hardware knowledge do you have?


The Microsoft Office family; Word, Power Point, Excel, etc

and I could name some hardware. 


4. Have you experienced learning via the computer (online, using courseware, etc)?


Being one of the thousands of UiTM students, learning via the computer (online courses, using courseware, websites, etc) is a must. Therefore, i would admit that i have undergone such learning, and in fact, I am learning it NOW, and Insya Allah more in the future.



5. Did you try to incorporate technology in your some of your lessons during your practicum? Was it a success or a failure? If you did not what was/were the reason(s)?


I wanted to try to use it, but due to the facility lacking, whereby the computer lab at that particular school is quite weary, it was not so promising to do so. Moreover, the computer lab is located extremely far from the classroom and it would take so much time to get the students moving from the classroom to the location.


However, the least that I can did was trying to bring my own computer and conduct a lesson by using songs or audio that were downloaded from the internet. Indeed, the student really liked it because it was indifferent to the learning session that they used to be in. Moreover, it encouraged the students to be more proactive by singing it along and dancing to it. I could say, it was a success. :)



6. What is your opinion on the use of computer/technology in language teaching?


Nowadays, computer acts as the hearts of the human beings. Hence, it becomes the necessity for the young generations to get hold of it  Since the students are mostly 'technology-geek', the teachers

should be a step advanced than them, in order to catch their attention. Moreover, incorporating technology in language teaching would be a great idea since the technology is globally needed and utilized. But on the other hand, the face-to-face learning is still crucial as the language learning requires lots and lots of practice and in-real life communication.  

7. What are your expectations from this course?


I'm expecting it to uplift my computer skills, and at the same time find  the joy in incorporating technology in language teaching. 


8. What is the topic chosen for your Academic Exercise? Why have you chosen the topic? Who is your supervisor?  How do you plan to complete your AE so that it follows the designated processes (chapter by chapter) and can be submitted on time?


My topic chosen is 'Stereotyped Gender-based Language Use: A Study Case'. I have chosen this topic because I like to know whether the researched production suit the actual happenings, especially on the TESL students. My supervisor is the charismatic Mr. Azmi. I plan to complete it by having a time frame whereby I should have completed a certain new thing, every new week. Therefore, by having that self check-list, I would make sure that Insya Allah I can finish things up within the designated time.



No comments: